Post-teen breakouts, dry patches and oil slicks … sometimes our skin plans it own agenda! Dermatologists and other skin care experts tell us the secret to glowing skin is eat right, stay hydrated and use the right products, but what does this mean for most of us?
Skin thrives on natural nutrients, but one of the largest threats to healthy skin is free radicals. Basically, free radicals are environmental factors negatively impacting the body’s molecular structure and function. On a molecular level, free radicals are atoms with an odd number of electrons, and they’re typically formed when oxygen interacts with certain molecules, creating a “highly reactive” radical. Free radicals then cause damage and sometimes cell death. Antioxidants can help stop and repair damage before it occurs.
5 Essential Skin Nutrients
- Vitamin C – Collagen makes up approximately 70% of skin, and vitamin C helps to rebuild collagen. Excellent sources of Vitamin C are citrus fruits, broccoli, brussels sprouts, bell peppers and strawberries.
- Beta-Carotene/Vitamin A
- Vitamin E – one of the most widely used antioxidants, Vitamin E helps to reduce free radical damage. Foods high in vitamin E are olives, almonds, sunflower seeds and leafy greens
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids – can reduce the appearance of fine lines and help reduce inflammation, which can contribute to acne, psoriasis and other skin conditions. Try chia seeds, walnuts, flax seed and fatty fish such as salmon, sardines and tuna.
- Zinc – Studies have shown increasing zinc intake can greatly reduce the appearance of acne. Organ meats such as kidney and liver are the most absorbable sources, while high sources of zinc include red meat and lamb, kidney beans, seafood (especially shellfish) and spinach.
5 Steps for a Skincare Routine
- Weekly exfoliation with organic jojoba beads to renew skin’s glow. We offer options for normal and oily skin types.
- Weekly facial mask to draw out impurities and hydrate. Try Tea Tree & Citrus Facial Mask formulated with green clay for oily skin or Pomegranate Facial Mask for normal to dry skin.
- Twice daily cleansing with your favorite gel or bar soap. Tea Tree Face Soap, Gentle Cleansing GelGentle Cleansing Gel, Lavender Goat’s Milk Soap or Cleansing Gel with Tea Tree & Citrus
- Daily dose of nutrients with the Green Tea Antioxidant Serum or Organic Anti Aging Oil Serum.
- Restore moisture with the natural botanical blend of one of our face crèmes for normal, sensitive or oily skin types.
5 Final Tips...