Deeply connected to our emotions, scents have the ability to transport us to different times in our personal history and affect our mood. Scientist believe this connection is partly due to the part of the brain responsible for processing scents, located next to the hippocampus, which is crucially responsible for handling and storing memories. Aromatherapy plays off of this relationship to enhance or change a mood.
Inhalation vs. Application
Aromatherapy benefits of essential oils are achieved with two therapies: inhalation and application. Inhalation therapy is used for emotional and spiritual balance. For inhalation therapy, add a few drops of essential oil to a diffuser or combine with water in a spray bottle to mist throughout a room. Application therapy is for purification of the body. Add essential oil to organic fractioned coconut oil or try in your favorite unscented Lemongrass Spa product. Massage into skin, inhale and feel muscle tension release while your mind is eased. See Precautions below for application therapy dilution recommendations.
Organic Essential Oils
- Lavender Oil (lavandula angustifolia). Steam distilled. Aroma: floral, fruity, herbal
- Balancing, soothing, calming, relaxing and healing.
- Lemon Oil (citrus limon). Cold pressed lemon peel. Aroma: clean, citrus, sugary
- Uplifting and refreshing
- Peppermint Oil (menthe piperita). Steam distilled. Aroma: minty, warm, herbal, with notes of greenery.
- Refreshing and cooling
- Tea Tree Oil (melaleuca alternifolia). Steam distilled. Aroma: warm, herbal, with notes of greenery
- Uplifting, cleansing and purifying
Blends (combination of organic and wild crafted essential oils)
- Immune Boost Blend. Blend of organic cinnamon, eucalyptus, clove, rosemary and lemon
- Uplifting, refreshing, warming, comforting, purifying and invigorating
- Balancing Act Blend. Delicate combination of rose geranium, clary sage, rose absolute and jasmine absolute.
- Romantic, uplifting, centering, calming and relaxing
- Note: Balancing Act is safe for use with boys.
- Mint Revival Blend. Blend of organic lavender, rosemary and peppermint
- Clarifying, invigorating, refreshing, cooling, balancing, soothing, relaxing and healing
Explore your creativity by creating custom essential oil blends for stress relief, inspiring a mood or because you just like the way it smells. An entire blog could be dedicated to blending essential oils, but today I will recommend a few simple combinations to get your started. Begin with equal parts each essential oil (2-4 drops per ounce of carrier oil) and adjust to your liking.
- Lavender and lemon
- Lavender and tea tree
- Lemon, lavender and peppermint
- Lemon and peppermint
- Tea tree and lemon
- Always dilute pure essential oils prior to application therapy to avoid skin irritation and always avoid eye area.
- Children under 2 years of age: application therapy not recommended due to their delicate skin.
- Children 2 to 6 years of age: dilution rate of 0.5%, 2-3 drops of essential oil per 1 ounce of carrier oil.
- Children 6 – 12 years of age: dilution rate of 1%, 5 drops of essential oil per 1 ounce of carrier oil.
- Children over 12 years of age and adults: 2-3% dilution rate, 10-15 drops essential oil per ounce of carrier oil.
- Not for internal use. 100% pure therapeutic grade essential oils are 70-100% more potent than the herb itself and improperly ingesting them can burn the esophagus, stomach and intestinal lining. Essential oils also break down during the digestion process, making them less effective as application or inhalation therapy.
- These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent disease.
Essential oils enhance your home spa experience by releasing mind and body from daily stressors or transporting you through the aisles of your memory. I would love to hear how you use essential oils as well as your favorite essential oil blends.