The whir of a sewing machine is the only sound in the room. I’m seated on the floor, legs crossed, among shiny, silky scraps of fabric. I smile as I inhale the earthy smell of mothballs, watching my grandmother create her latest masterpiece. I look around and realize I’m standing in the middle of a florescent-lit department store, not seated on the floor of my grandmother’s basement sewing room, smelling the designer “drawer fresheners” (or, in other words, mothballs). That is the power of smell. Deeply connected to our emotions, scents have the ability to transport us to different times in our personal history and affect our mood. Ancient cultures incorporated the burning of resins and incents into religious and medical practices, and archeological finds show evidence different scents were used for their perceived purifying and healing powers. Over time these practices gave way to aromatherapy, harnessing the benefits of flowers and herbs for physical and psychological benefits.
Since the beginning, Lemongrass Spa Products has used essential oils to complement its body care collection. Wash away the day’s stress with a sprinkling of Lavender Bath Crystals to a warm bath or awaken your senses in the middle of the day while replenishing skin’s moisture with Spearmint Eucalyptus Hand & Body Lotion. A natural progression for the company’s mission to provide fresh, clean skin and body care products was to enhance the spa experience through aromatherapy with fresh, clean essential oils. Founder & CEO, Heidi Leist worked closely with the essential oil supplier to ensure the oils met her high standard of excellence.
The Five Qualities of Lemongrass Spa’s Essential Oil Collection
- 100% pure, therapeutic grade essential oils
- Oils are tested with a Gas Chromatographic Spectrometer which maps the individual constitutes of the essential oil to ensure the oils contain the correct balance that qualify the oil as pure and unadulterated. Click here to read more about GC testing.
- USDA Certified Organic or Wildcrafted crops
- Wildcrafted plants are not farmed but ethically and sustainably cultivated from their natural growth areas.
- Click here for USDA certification standards.
- Crops are harvested and distilled by artisans (essential oil “artists”) who ensure the plants are harvested and distilled at the right time to guarantee the resulting oil is of the highest quality for therapeutic benefits.
- An example of why harvesting and distilling times are important: A certified organic rosemary essential where the plant was picked at the end of the season would be high in camphor, making it a low grade essential oil.
- Ecological and sustainable business practices from farms and distilleries, meaning no damage to the earth or surrounding community is done during the farming or distilling process
- As with all of Lemongrass Spa’s raw ingredients and finished products, essential oils are never tested on animals.
We encourage our customers to consider the importance of the USDA Certified Organic or Wildcrafted Essential Oils versus using those that may be diluted or grown in areas with a high prevalence of pesticide use. There is such a wide array of quality of essential oils – from very high quality to very poor quality - available in the marketplace. It’s important you know what you are diffusing, putting on your skin or inhaling.
Please join me next week for The Art of Aromatherapy Part 2: Benefits of Essential Oils and learn about the aromatherapy benefits of our essential oil collection as well as a few blending ideas.